Saturday, July 02, 2005

Planes, trains, and automobiles...but no busses.

It seems that the closer I get to GradShitTownVille, the less public transportation I'm provided. In Tokyo, the subway was perfect, except when the four companies who privately own the subway lines fail to cooperate in planning the stops. The trains came almost every three minutes, and for just 160 yen, I could get to where I wanted to go. In Big City, USA where I have to catch a shuttle to GradShitTownVille from the airport, I had to wait 3 hours in the badly air conditioned shuttle lobby, having missed the previous shuttle by five minutes. For $42, I travelled 135 miles in 3 hours. This is rather unlike the bullet train, which offered a much faster meter per yen. Today, in GradShitTownVille, I have to make my way yet again to the horrid shuttle to take me back to airport so that I can go here. However, since it's the 4th of July, there are no busses running today, so I had to walk 40 minutes to the shuttle stop. The walk was nice, and I thought ahead and left my luggage in my office. But still, it seems kind of irresponsible not to run busses on a day in which all Americans seem to drink a lot while setting stuff on fire.

No comments: