Monday, July 14, 2008

Dear Diary

Four days to go.

My body is a Six Flags Amusement Park. Roller coasters of emotion tear through my clenched guts: tears over missed friends, panic about signatures, anxiety over moving boxes, anger over lost years, terror of a new job, joy at being almost done.

My mind is a Pomeranian. Ditzy and fierce, latching on to trivial thoughts with the jaws of my neurons and grinding them down for hours until they are nothing. I thought I lost my sweater on the train on Saturday. I worried for two hours about how I would ever find another black sweater as cute as that one. Then I found it under my seat.

I have this tight schedule that many doubt I can complete:

Fri: Defend.
Sat/Sun: Pack.
Mon: Close on house. Deposit.
Tues: Leave town.
Sat: Arrive in Portland.


People ask, "What about revisions?"

Fortunately, I wrote my dissertation for me. It's written in an informal, conversational style, a collection of 13 essays about my research. It was fun to write. I make metaphors between my work and blackberry jelly. I compare my advisor to Oscar Madison.

I say "fortunately," because my dissertation is just a diary. A couple of committee members read a couple of chapters about two months ago, but since I gave them my full draft three weeks ago, I've not heard a single peep. Given the history of my group and the defenses that have come before mine, I don't expect revisions. My advisor cashes out of his students once they get a job. I have seen him six times in the last five months.

I don't know what will happen this week.
But I hope to be home soon.

4 comments:

ScienceGirl said...

Good luck with all that! I am not a big fan of such tight schedules, but things usually seem to work out ok. You will be a free person in 4 days!

shannon said...

and your stuff will be waiting for you (with the appropriate permit and all)!

i can hardly wait!!!!!! :)

because girlfriend, so much has been happening around here (will send you an email). and a hint, it does NOT include babies.

Jane said...

Best of luck to you!!!

hallsarah204@gmail.com said...

What's your schedule, so I can check out your newly coming updates? What's about your dissertation? Was it fun to write? Next time you can find any the proof-reading.services high school and university writing scholarships to ease this daunting writing process!