Monday, September 12, 2005

Not very christian

He also promised to reimburse states for the costs associated with taking in people forced out of their homes by the hurricane, telling state leaders, "You should not be penalized for showing compassion."


This is a Christian man? This is a man who wants a "day of prayer" for the victims of hurricane Katrina, and then talks about compassion as exacting a penalty? Let me quote a few phrases from the bible:

John 3:18 - Let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action.


Matthew 7:12 - Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.


I Corinthians 13:3 - And thou I bestow all my good to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.


All over the United States, citizens are offering compassion and charity to the people to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. They are travelling south to help with rescue efforts, they are donating clothing and money and blood, they are doing what they can. They aren't worried about the "penalties" of compassion and charity. Whether or not they believe in God, they are certainly acting more "Christian" than the president.

3 comments:

DC said...

I think I'm missing something from your post. Isn't he saying that the government will be helping out not only the people that were directly affected, but also people that are indirectly affected by being willing to take in a family that has lost their home (as in, they are accepting the "penalty" of sharing their home, money, etc. and the government will help shoulder that load). This reads as a good thing, but I could be misunderstanding something.

FemaleCSGradStudent said...

But to refer to the act of compassion and charity as exacting a penalty is what I don't get. As I pointed out by the biblical quotations, humans benefit from acts of charity.

DC said...

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.