Sunday, March 02, 2008

We can be heroes, just for one day.

I'm having nightmares. Their theme is that I have to be somewhere far away, but I am running late. It began six months ago. In the dream, I'm on a Tri-Met bus, trying to get to PDX for a 9 pm flight to Spain. In the next dream, I get smarter, and ask my brother to drive me. But again, we are running late, he's driving 90 mph around a curve, and the car rolls three times. Tonight, it was even more violent. I murdered someone to get to where I was going.

The nightmares are a transparent outlet for my daytime anxiety.

Good news first!

I got a job. A very smart scientist gave me this advice: the best way to graduate is to look for a job. So I looked. And I got one. In fact, I got my dream job at a small liberal arts school on the West Coast; it has an engineering-based computer science department with a gender-balanced faculty. This was the school I wanted to be at for a decade of dreaming about becoming a professor. This school was the reason why I chased a Ph.D.

I started my job search last summer when I went on a little tour of liberal arts schools on the west coast. I had to know one thing: Had I romanticized the "teaching university" after my sentence at GradShitTownVille? I talked with professors at three different schools. Some took me to coffee. Some to lunch. They talked about their favorite parts of their job. The warned me of their biggest challenges.

The result: I knew, despite the cons, that I still wanted the teaching university. I had some great new friends. I had some news of upcoming job openings. And the dream school was one of them.

Fast forward to now.

The nightmares are a transparent outlet for my daytime anxiety. I have roughly four months before I should head west to start my new job. I have lots to do. I have no interest in doing it. I procrastinate by remodeling the bathroom.

Admittedly, the bathroom needed remodeling to increase the sale value of the house. Yet, that's how I procrastinate. It's why my house is so clean.

The stress of doing very little has lead to three illnesses this month. Certainly, the nightmares will stop once I leave GradShitTownVille. The fever and throwing up will stop once I begin working diligently again.

That starts tonight, bitch.

10 comments:

tony c said...

Congrats on the job! What school is it (you can email me about it)? Welcome back to the west coast.

Rebecca said...

Congrats on the job!!! It must feel so good to know where you'll be next year and it ain't where you are right now. Just get that work done and you'll be ready to go! :)

Amanda said...

Congrats on the dream job!!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Congratulations! I never hear of anyone getting her dream job -- how inspiring!

Good luck getting motivated to get everything finished.

Jane said...

Wow! Awesome! Congratulations on getting the dream job! You'll be fabulous at it.

RHCD said...

Wo hoo! Congrats!

When can you tell us where? (cause we all do want to know)

Unknown said...

Awesome. I am so glad to hear this. Good luck getting out!

ScienceGirl said...

Congrats on the dream job! (And I hope the rest of the time in GradShitTownVille is not quite this stressful).

shannon said...

can't wait until you are home!!!! :)

davetwilliams1978 said...

Hmmm...I think you're just stressed maybe because of too much pressure from your job. You should give yourself a break you may go out in a beach or have some walk in a garden or park just to relax your brain and recover your energy. Good luck! ab circle pro reviews